This recipe is the best because in a short 2 minutes of waiting, you can have a warm “brown bag” lunch. Of course the initial preparations take a bit longer, but the rewards are worth it. While everyone else in the lounge is pulling out their ham and cheese wrap or peanut butter and jelly sandwich, you get this heavenly aroma coming from the microwave and strangers are coming up to your table asking what’s in it (or are you will to trade lunches).
- 10 ea Chow Fun Noodles (can be found in refrigerated section of chinese food market, ask for thick rice noodles)
- 1 lb Beef flank steak sliced – thin across the grain
- 1 tb Dark soy sauce (has to be dark)
- 1 tb Cornstarch
- 1 ea Egg white
- 1 tb Peanut oil (i use regular vegetable oil, peanut oil gives it a bit more flavor)
- 7 tb Peanut oil for pan-frying
- 2 ea Cloves garlic chopped fine
- 1 ea Slice ginger cut julienne (minced ginger is fine too)
- 1 tb Fermented black beans (dow -see) rinsed (i usually buy a jar of black bean paste at the grocery store)
- 1 tb Dry sherry (any cooking wine)
- 1/2 md Yellow onion peeled and -sliced
- 1/2 ea Green sweet bell pepper -cored & cut julienne ——————————SAUCE————
- 1 tb Dark soy sauce
- 1/4 ts Sugar
- 1 tb Dry sherry
- 1 pn White pepper
- 1 tb Oyster sauce
- 1 c Fresh bean sprouts
Slice the chow fun into noodles about 1/2 inch wide.
Slice the meat and mix the marinade. Marinate the meat for 15 minutes.
Heat the wok and add 2 T of the peanut oil.
Toss the noodles about in the oil until they are very hot and begin to color just a bit on the edges. Remove to the serving platter and set aside.
Heat the wok again and add 3 T of the peanut oil along with the garlic and ginger. Fry for a moment and add the rinsed black beans and the sherry. In this add the onion and green pepper just until very hot. Remove to the serving platter.
Heat the wok a third time and add 2 T of the peanut oil and the meat. Fry on one side only until it begins to brown.
Return the vegetables the noodles and the sauce to the wok and toss with the meat until hot. Add the bean sprouts toss just a minute or so and serve. Garnish with Chinese parsley.