- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups button mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons white vermouth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup soft chevre
- 3 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/2 cup clarified butter, melted
- Dill Sauce, recipe follows
- Special equipment: pastry brush
Preheat oven to 400 dgrees F.
In a large pot of salted water boil the potatoes until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the potatoes and set aside in a large bowl.
In a large skillet melt 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and saute the onion and garlic until soft. Add the button mushrooms and saute until lightly browned. Add this mixture to the bowl with the potatoes.
Melt the remaining butter and oil in the same skillet and saute the shiitake mushrooms until golden, add to the potatoes. Pour the white vermouth into the hot skillet and simmer for 30 seconds. Add the vermouth, oregano, thyme, and parsley to the potato and mushroom mixture. Season, to taste, with kosher salt and pepper.
Crumble the soft chevre into the potato and mushroom mixture and gently combine
Brush the outside of the strudel with clarified butter and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Bake for 15 minutes, reduce the heat to 350 degrees F. Bake for 15 minutes longer, until golden brown. Cut the strudel into 6 slices and serve with the warm Dill Sauce.
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons chopped dill
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until reduced by 1/3. Stir in the dill and season with the salt and pepper, to taste.
Yield: 1 1/3 cups
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes