Julia Child’s Stuffed Eggplant
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup finely minced onion
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
1 pound finely minced fresh mushrooms (I used white button mushrooms)
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 1/2 ounces cream cheese
4 tablespoons parsley, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
3 tablespoons grated Swiss cheese
3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
3 tablespoons melted butter
- Stem the eggplants and halve them lengthwise.
- Cut striations 1″ apart in the flesh, going down to about 1/4″ above the skin. Try very hard not to go through the skin.
- Preheat your broiler.
- Sprinkle the flesh with salt and lay the eggplants flesh-side down on the towel for half an hour. This will help remove any bitterness in the eggplant.
- Gently squeeze the eggplant to remove any excess liquid. Pat dry.
- Arrange the eggplant in a single layer in the roasting dish. Put about 1/8″ of water in the bottom of the dish and drizzle the eggplants with olive oil.
- Broil 10 – 15 minutes, until the flesh is moderately browned and tender.
- Remove all but 1/4″ of the eggplant meat with a spoon and chop. Place it in the mixing bowl.
- Heat the first 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in the skillet.
- Slowly cook the onions in the oil until tender but not browned.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and add to the mixing bowl with the eggplant.
- Heat the 3 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in the skillet and add the mushrooms. Saute until lightly browned and tender, 5 – 6 minutes. Season to taste and add to the mixing bowl.
- Mash the cream cheese in the second bowl with the parsley.
- Add the basil, taste for seasoning and add to the bowl with the vegetables.
- All of these steps can be performed in advance.
- About 40 minutes before you are ready to serve the eggplants, preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Fill the eggplant shells with the mixture from the mixing bowl.
- Combine the bread crumbs and Jarlsberg and top the eggplants with the mixture.
- Roast 25 – 30 minutes to thoroughly heat and to brown the topping.
- Cut each half into two pieces and serve.